رفتن به مطلب

اصطلاحات و ضرب المثل هاIdioms, Slangs and Proverbs

setare.blue

ارسال های توصیه شده

Chat

to chat someone up = to talk to someone because you are attracted to them: "He went to a party and chatted up every woman."

a chatterbox = someone who talks a lot, but not saying anything important: "She's a bit of a chatterbox at work."

chit-chat = social conversation about unimportant subjects: "Enough of the chit-chat! I have to get on with some work."

Word

to have a word with someone = to talk to someone about something you are not happy with: "I'm going to have a word with him about his kids' behaviour."

to not have a good word to say about someone = to always criticise: "She never has a good word to say about the Browns."

a word in your ear = something you say before you give some advice or a warning: "A word in your ear – the company are monitoring internet use."

to not mince your words = say something directly, without trying to be diplomatic: "She doesn't mince her words!"

to have words = to have an argument: "They've had words and now they're not speaking."

to get a word in edgeways = to try to contribute to a conversation: "They were talking so fast it was impossible to get a word in edgeways!"

لینک به دیدگاه
  • پاسخ 87
  • ایجاد شد
  • آخرین پاسخ

بهترین ارسال کنندگان این موضوع

بهترین ارسال کنندگان این موضوع

blow away the cobwebs = literally to get rid of the webs that spiders make, this idiom means to do something which makes your mind "cleaner" and fresher: "After sitting in the same chair for five hours, I wanted to go out for a walk to blow away the cobwebs."

like a breath of fresh air = someone or something who has new, fresh ideas or behaviour: "After working for the old boss for 20 years, the new boss seems like a breath of fresh air."

out with the old, in with the new = to change the old for the new: "We have a new CEO who wants to make his mark on the company. Out with the old, in with the new."

new blood = to have fresh people and ideas in an organisation: "In an effort to get new blood into our research department, we're having a recruitment drive."

shake things up (a shake up) = to change things a lot: "The government are having a shake up of their education policies."

give something a new lease of life = to renew something so that it lasts longer: "Those tablets have given our pet dog a new lease of life."

breathe new life into = to give new energy to something: "This sports club needs to increase its members to breathe new life into our finances."

لینک به دیدگاه

New views

get a fresh perspective = to get a different point of view: "Let's ask the sales department for their opinion. The can bring us a fresh perspective."

see things from a different angle = to consider something from a different point of view: "Let's try to see this problem from a different angle."

Starting again

go back to square one = to have to start again because something didn't work: "Well, so much for trying! I suppose it's back to square one."

go back to the drawing board = to have to start again because something didn't work: "Unfortunately the plans didn't work out. We'll have to go back to the drawing board."

start with a clean sheet = to have another chance, perhaps because you have made serious mistakes: "He's paid for his mistakes, and now he can start with a clean sheet."

make a fresh start / make a clean break = to start something again: "Let's put the problems behind us and make a fresh start."

Some other expressions with change

a change is as good as a rest = it's often as refreshing to make a change than it is to have a break

a change for the better / worse = a change that results in either a better or a worse situation

a change of heart = when you change your mind on something: "I've had a change of heart. I think I'll stay in my present job, after all."

loose change / spare change = coins in your pocket: "Do you have any spare change for the parking meter?"

small change = money of little value: "I've got about 5 euros of small change in my pocket."

لینک به دیدگاه

Here are some emotional idioms to tell people whether you're happy, sad or angry.

:-)

All these idioms mean that you are absolutely delighted!

over the moon: "He was over the moon when he heard the news."

thrilled to bits: "She was thrilled to bits with her new bicycle."

in seventh heaven: "They were in seventh heaven when they learned they'd won a cruise."

on cloud nine: "When I got the job, I was on cloud nine for several weeks."

jump for joy: "We jumped for joy when we got the mortgage."

:-(

These idioms mean you are feeling sad.

down in the dumps: "When she left him, he was down in the dumps for a couple of weeks."

feel blue: "She felt a little blue when she lost her job."

beside yourself (with grief, worry): "When her son went missing, she was beside herself with worry."

Annoyed because you have missed an opportunity

sick as a parrot: "He was as sick as a parrot when he realised he had thrown away his lottery ticket."

لینک به دیدگاه

:-V

These idioms mean that you are very angry.

see red: "Don't talk to him about his boss – it just makes him see red!"

hopping mad: "She was hopping mad when she found out her daughter had disobeyed her."

in a black mood: "Be careful what you say – she's in a black mood today."

Less angry idioms

cheesed off: "I was really cheesed off when I lost the competition."

to not be on speaking terms: "They're not on speaking terms at the moment after their row."

To be off someone's Christmas card list: "Oh dear. I think I'm off her Christmas card list after insulting her husband!"

have a downer on someone: "What's John done? You seem to have a real downer on him."

rub someone up the wrong way: "Those two are always arguing. They just seem to rub each other up the wrong way."

In desperation

These idioms mean you don't know what to do.

at the end of your tether: "I just can't cope. I'm at the end of my tether with all these bills and debts."

at your wits' end: "He's at his wits' end. He's tried everything to solve the problem, but nothing has worked."

لینک به دیدگاه

keep something under your hat = don't say anything to anyone: "I've got something to say to you. But keep it under your hat – it's not public knowledge."

take your hat off to someone = admire someone: "I really take my hat off to people who work full time and study at the same time!"

tied to his mother's apron strings = someone (normally a man) who does what his mother tells him: "He didn't want to come out last weekend, because his mother disapproves of us. He's really tied to her apron strings!"

keep something up your sleeve = keep something hidden for later: "We've been negotiating my new pay and conditions, but I've kept the other job offer up my sleeve for the time being."

all talk no trousers – someone who talks a lot but doesn't act: "I know he told you that he would get you a limousine for the wedding. Don't believe him, though. He's all talk, no trousers."

who wears the trousers? = who has the power in a relationship: "What do you mean, she won't let you come out with us? Who wears the trousers in your house?"

pull your socks up = work harder: "You'll have to pull your socks up if you want a promotion next year."

it will blow your socks off = very hot food: "This is a fantastic stir-fry – it's hot enough to blow your socks off!"

hot under the collar = upset or angry about something: "He gets really hot under the collar about cruelty to animals – he can't stand seeing animals suffer

."

it's pants (UK slang) – rubbish: "What did you think of the film?" "Pants!"

get something under your belt – achieve something: "I'm really glad I passed the driving test. Now I've got that under my belt, I can relax for a little while."

لینک به دیدگاه

belt up = keep quiet: "What's all that noise? Just belt up, would you? I can't hear myself think."

below the belt = unfair: "You know he's really sensitive about the accident. I think it was a bit below the belt to mention it."

the boot's on the other foot = your opponent now has the advantage: "Now that she has been promoted, the boot's on the other foot! You should watch what you say from now on

get your skates on = to hurry up: "Get your skates on – we're late as it is!"

have the shirt off your back = to steal all you own: "He asked you for how much rent? He'd have the shirt off your back, if you let him."

in only the clothes he stood up in = to only possess what you wear: "After the fire, they were left with only the clothes they stood up in."

get shirty = become angry with someone: "Don't get shirty with me! I'm only reporting the new rules."

skirt around the issue = not talk directly about something: "They skirted around the issue for a while, then got down to the real business."

cloak and dagger = mysterious: "Who's arranging the party? I don't know – it's all very cloak and dagger at the moment."

give someone a dressing down = tell someone off / reprimand someone: "He gave the whole department a dressing down after they failed to meet their agreed targets."

dressed to the nines / dressed to kill = dressed up: "Where are you going, dressed up to the nines?"

لینک به دیدگاه
  • 3 هفته بعد...
  • 3 هفته بعد...

ضرب المثل های پرکاربرد و رایج ایرانی

به همراه معادل انگلیسی

Iranian Current & Full Application Proverbs

With English Equivalent

توانا بود هر كه دانا بود

Knowledge is power

هر فرازى را نشیبى است

High places have their precipices

آدم زنده زندگى مى خواد

Live and let live

سحر خیز باش تا كامروا شوی

An early bird catches the worm

چیزی كه عوض داره گله نداره

It is the case of tit for tat

چاه مكن بهر كسی اول خودت دوم كسی

He who blows into fire will have sparkles in his eyes

بى خبرى، خوش خبرى

No news is Best news

شتر دیدى، ندیدى

You see nothing, You hear nothing

همه کاره و هیچ كاره

Jack of all trades and master of none

عجله كار شیطان است

Haste is from the Devil

کاچى به از هیچى

Somthing is better than nothing

گذشته ها گذشته

Let bygones be bygones

سر پیری و معركه گیری

There is no fool like an old fool

مستى و راستى

There is truth in wine

جوینده یابنده است

He that seeks finds

لینک به دیدگاه

In this topic we write the English proverbs with their Persian translations. Lets start.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery.

دیروز تاریخ است و فردا معما

Bread is the staff of life.

نان مایه ی حیات است!!

No pain, no gain.

نابرده رنج ، گنج میسر نمیشود.

True love never grows old.

عشق راستین هرگز کهنه نمیشود.

لینک به دیدگاه

God helps them that help themselves.

خدا کسانی را کمک میکند که به خودشان کمک میکنند.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

امیدوار باش برای بهترین و آماده شو برای بدترین.

Fire is a good servant, but a bad master.

آتش خدمتگذار خوبی است ولی ارباب بدی است.

Your fingers can't be of the same length.

انگشتان شما نمیتوانند به یک اندازه باشند.

Good fences make good neighbors.

حصارهای خوب، همسایگان خوب میسازند.

لینک به دیدگاه

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

دستی را که به تو غذا میدهد گاز نگیر.

One falsehood spoils a thousand truths.

یه دروغ، هزار تا حقیقت رو خراب میکنه.

Failure teaches success.

شکست پیروزی را میاموزد.

Experience is the best teacher.

تجربه بهترین معلم است.

Better an egg today than a hen tomorrow.

تخم مرغ امروز از مرغ فردا بهتر است.

لینک به دیدگاه

GO FLY A KITE!

برو پي كارت! بزن به چاك!

stop bothering me! go fly a kite!

TOOT ONE'S OWN HORN

لاف زدن. منم منم كردن. از خود تعريف كردن

Richard's always tooting his own horn. All he does is to talk about how good he is.

HANG IN THERE!

استقامت به خرج دادن. تاب آوردن. با اوضاع ساختن

I know things are pretty tough me. If you hang in there things will come out ok.

لینک به دیدگاه

HIT BELOW THE BELT

نامردي كردن. نارو زدن

I'll never do any business with Peter again. He really hits below the belt

LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG

رازي از دهان كسي پريدن. پته كسي را روي آب انداختن

Nobody was supposed to tell him about the surprise party, but my sister let the cat out of the bag.

GET A KICK OUT OF SOMETHING

از چيزي كيف كردن. از چيزي حظ كردن

I always get a kick out of his jokes

لینک به دیدگاه

COUGH UP

سلفيدن. اخ كردن

Come on man! Cough up the money you owe me!

TALK SOMEONE'S EAR OFF

با پر حرفي سر كسي را بردن

My grandmother talks my ear off whenever I see her.

GO GREAT GUNS

حسابي رو به راه بودن. قبراق بودن

It's going great guns! How's business Ted?

ALL THUMBS

دست و پا چلفتي. ناشي

Let me do the dishes myself, you're all thumb

لینک به دیدگاه
  • 2 ماه بعد...

Absence m)ake the heart grow fonder

دوری و دوستی

Action is proper fruit of knowledge

عالم بی علم مثل درخت بی ثمر است)

After dead the doctor

نوش دارو پس از مرگ سهراب

when sundays meet together!!!!

یعنی وقت گل نی!!!!

All is for the best

(هر چه پیش آید خوش آید

لینک به دیدگاه

evrey cloud has a silver lining

در ناامیدی بسی امید است

some hope, what hope .

بزک نمیر بهار میاد

no pain no gain

نابرده رنج گنج میسر نشود

Bad news travels fast

(یک کلاغ چهل کلاغ)

A Bad workman always blames his tools

(رقاص نمی تواند برقید می گوید زمین کج است)

Barking dogs seldom bite

(از آن نترس که های و هوی دارد، ار آن بترس که سر به تو دارد.)

To Beat you to frighten him

(به در می گویم که دیوار بشنود.)

لینک به دیدگاه

To become rich overnight

يك شبه ره صد ساله رفتن

Beauty is the eye of the beholder

(علف باید به دهن بزی شیرین بیاید)

Be slow of giving advice,ready to do a service

(به عمل کار برآید به سخن دانی نیست)

Better bend than break

(کار از محکم کاری عیب نمی کند.)

Better late than never

(دیر رسیدن بهتر از هرگز نرسیدن است.)

لینک به دیدگاه

Better face in danger once than to be always in danger

(مرگ یکبار، شیون هم یکبار)

A Big head has a big ache

(هر که بامش بیش برفش بیشتر)

The Biter is some times bit

(دست بالای دست بسیار است)

Call a spade a spade

(چیزی که عیان است ، چه حاجت به بیان است)

The Cat dreams of mice

(شتر در خواب بیند پنبه دانه.)

Cattle do not die from crows cursing

از دعای گربه سیاه بارون نمیاید

لینک به دیدگاه

به گفتگو بپیوندید

هم اکنون می توانید مطلب خود را ارسال نمایید و بعداً ثبت نام کنید. اگر حساب کاربری دارید، برای ارسال با حساب کاربری خود اکنون وارد شوید .

مهمان
ارسال پاسخ به این موضوع ...

×   شما در حال چسباندن محتوایی با قالب بندی هستید.   حذف قالب بندی

تنها استفاده از 75 اموجی مجاز می باشد.

×   لینک شما به صورت اتوماتیک جای گذاری شد.   نمایش به صورت لینک

×   محتوای قبلی شما بازگردانی شد.   پاک کردن محتوای ویرایشگر

×   شما مستقیما نمی توانید تصویر خود را قرار دهید. یا آن را اینجا بارگذاری کنید یا از یک URL قرار دهید.

• اضافه کردن...