رفتن به مطلب

Ways to describe friendship in English

marjan17

ارسال های توصیه شده

From best friend to deadliest enemy, and all the variations between.

Here are some common words and phrases to describe friendship in English

BFF (best friends forever)

best mate = your best friend.

a good friend = someone in your "inner circle" of friends.

to be really close to someone = be good friends with

pal = friend (UK slang)

buddy (best buddy) = friend (mainly US English)

to go back years = to know someone for a long time: "Steve and I go back years."

an old friend = a friend you've known for a long time: "He's an old friend of Dave's."

a friend of the family / a family friend = someone close to your family: "John was an old family friend."

a trusted friend = someone you can trust

a childhood friend = a friend from when you were very young

a circle of friends = all the friends in your group: "She's got a great circle of friends."

be just good friends = when you want to say you're only friends with someone of the opposite sex: "We're not going out. We're just good friends, that's all."

لینک به دیدگاه

More casual friendships

penpal / epal = someone you know from corresponding / writing: "Find a penpal on our Penpals forum!"

someone you know from work (or another interest group): "Andy? Oh, he's someone I know from work."

someone you know to pass the time of day with = someone you know to say "hello" to

casual acquaintance = someone you don't know very well: "She's just a casual acquaintance of mine."

a friend of a friend = someone you only know because they're a friend of one of your friends. "Dave's a friend of a friend."

a mutual friend = someone that two people know: "Karen's a mutual friend of both me and Rachel

Mates

classmate = someone in your class at school.

workmate = someone you work with

flatmate (UK English) roommate (US English) = someone you

share a flat or house with

soul mate = someone you're very close to because you share the same opinions and beliefs

لینک به دیدگاه

Not good friends

on-off relationship = where you're sometimes friendly, and sometimes not: "Cath and Liz have an on-off relationship."

fair-weather friend = a friend who's never around when you need help: "She's only a fair-weather friend."

a frenemy = someone who's a friend and an enemy at the same time.

Other expressions

strike up a friendship with = make friends with someone

be no friend of = not like someone / something: "I'm no friend of his!"

have friends in high places = know important / influential people: "Be careful what you say. He's got friends in high places."

لینک به دیدگاه

به گفتگو بپیوندید

هم اکنون می توانید مطلب خود را ارسال نمایید و بعداً ثبت نام کنید. اگر حساب کاربری دارید، برای ارسال با حساب کاربری خود اکنون وارد شوید .

مهمان
ارسال پاسخ به این موضوع ...

×   شما در حال چسباندن محتوایی با قالب بندی هستید.   حذف قالب بندی

تنها استفاده از 75 اموجی مجاز می باشد.

×   لینک شما به صورت اتوماتیک جای گذاری شد.   نمایش به صورت لینک

×   محتوای قبلی شما بازگردانی شد.   پاک کردن محتوای ویرایشگر

×   شما مستقیما نمی توانید تصویر خود را قرار دهید. یا آن را اینجا بارگذاری کنید یا از یک URL قرار دهید.

• اضافه کردن...