setare.blue

ارسال های توصیه شده

• پاسخ 3.4k
  • ایجاد شد
  • آخرین پاسخ

بهترین ارسال کنندگان این موضوع

بهترین ارسال کنندگان این موضوع

touch 2 S2 W2 noun

1 touching somebody/something [ countable usually singular ] the action of putting your hand, finger, or another part of your body on something or someone : She felt a gentle touch on her shoulder.

touch of He remembered the touch of her fingers on his face.

2 ability to feel things [ uncountable ] the sense that you use to discover what something feels like, by putting your hand or fingers on it : the sense of touch

by touch Visually impaired people orient themselves by touch.

Bake the cake for 30 minutes until risen and firm to the touch .

3 in touch (with somebody) talking or writing to someone : We’ll get in touch (= start talking or writing to you ) as soon as we know the results of the test.

Can I have your phone number in case I need to get in touch with you?

Bye. I’ll be in touch .

Are you still in touch with John (= are you talking to him regularly ) ?

I’m in close touch with Anna.

stay/keep in touch (= keep writing or talking, even though you do not see each other often ) Anyway, we must stay in touch.

I met him when I worked in Madrid, and I’ve kept in touch with him ever since.

I lost touch with (= stopped writing or talking to ) Julie after we moved.

I can put you in touch with a local photography club (= give you their address or phone number so you can talk to them ) .

4 be/keep/stay etc in touch (with something) to have the latest information or knowledge about something : A regular newsletter keeps people in touch with local events.

The speech was good and you felt he was in touch with people’s needs.

Rescuers were kept in touch through radio links.

A head-teacher needs to remain in close touch with teachers’ everyday concerns.

5 be out of touch a) ( also lose touch (with something) ) to not have the latest knowledge about a subject, situation, or the way people feel be out of touch with I’m out of touch with modern medicine.

The party cannot afford to lose touch with political reality.

b) to not know much about modern life : Judges are often accused of being out of touch.

6 get in touch with something especially American English to realize and understand something such as your feelings and attitudes : The first stage is to get in touch with your perceptions and accept responsibility for your relationships.

7 detail/addition [ countable ] a small detail that improves or completes something put the final/finishing touches to something Emma was putting the finishing touches to the cake.

There was a vase of flowers in the room, which was a nice touch .

Brass pans added a decorative touch to the plain brick wall.

8 way of doing something [ countable ] a particular way of doing something, or the ability to do it in a particular way : The room was decorated with a very artistic touch.

Our staff combine efficient service with a personal touch (= they do things in a friendly way ) .

The feminine touch was evident throughout the house.

His sure touch (= confident way of doing things ) and attention to detail are just as evident now.

Barbara has a magic touch in the garden (= she grows things very well ) .

King obviously hasn’t lost his touch (= lost his ability ) – his latest book sold in the millions.

9 a touch of something a small amount of something : Our furniture is guaranteed to add a touch of class to your bedroom.

Add a lace top for a touch of glamour.

‘What?’ asked Hazel, with a touch of irritation.

10 a touch disappointed/faster/impatient etc slightly disappointed, faster etc : He sounded a touch upset when I spoke to him on the phone.

11 with/at the touch of a button/key used to emphasize that something can be done very easily by pressing a button : This card allows you to access your money at the touch of a button.

You can get all the latest information with the touch of a button.

12 a soft/easy touch informal if someone is a soft or an easy touch, you can easily persuade them to do what you want, especially give you money

13 way something feels [ countable usually singular ] the way that something feels and the effect it has on your skin : the warm touch of his lips

14 soccer/rugby [ uncountable ] the area outside the lines that mark the playing area into touch The ball rolled into touch.

common touch at common 1 ( 13 ) , → a/the human touch at human 1 ( 5 ) , → kick something into touch at kick 1 ( 11 ) , → lose your touch at lose ( 1 ) , → magic touch at magic 2 ( 5 ) , → Midas touch , → a soft touch at soft ( 17 )

لینک به دیدگاه

es‧ca‧late / ˈeskəleɪt / verb [ intransitive and transitive ]

1 if fighting, violence, or a bad situation escalates, or if someone escalates it, it becomes much worse escalate into Her fear was escalating into panic.

The fighting on the border is escalating.

We do not want to escalate the war.

2 to become higher or increase, or to make something do this : The costs were escalating alarmingly.

policies that escalate their own costs

escalating crime

escalation / ˌeskəˈleɪʃ ə n / noun [ uncountable and countable ] : the escalation of fighting in June

a rapid escalation in value

لینک به دیدگاه

e‧lapse / ɪˈlæps / verb [ intransitive not in progressive ]

formal if a particular period of time elapses, it passes : Several months elapsed before his case was brought to trial.

The assignment must be completed within an overall elapsed time of one week.

لینک به دیدگاه

weird 1 S2 / wɪəd $ wɪrd / adjective

informal very strange and unusual, and difficult to understand or explain : A really weird thing happened last night.

He’s a weird bloke.

They sell all sorts of weird and wonderful (= very strange ) products.

weirdly adverb : a weirdly shaped rock

weirdness noun [ uncountable ]

THESAURUS

very strange

weird very strange or very different from what you are used to : I had a weird dream last night. | It’s a weird and wonderful place.

bizarre extremely strange and different from what is usually considered normal : It was a bizarre situation. | Mark’s behaviour was really bizarre.

surreal extremely strange and unconnected with real life or normal experiences, like something out of a dream : His paintings are full of surreal images. | There is something surreal about the climate change talks in Bali. | The plant’s flowers were so big that they seemed almost surreal

uncanny very strange – used especially about someone having an unusual ability to do something, or looking surprisingly similar to someone : She had an uncanny knack (= ability ) of putting her finger right on a problem. | Alice had an uncanny resemblance to Josie. | his uncanny ability to pick racing winners

لینک به دیدگاه
  • 1 سال بعد...

به گفتگو بپیوندید

هم اکنون می توانید مطلب خود را ارسال نمایید و بعداً ثبت نام کنید. اگر حساب کاربری دارید، برای ارسال با حساب کاربری خود اکنون وارد شوید .

مهمان
ارسال پاسخ به این موضوع ...

×   شما در حال چسباندن محتوایی با قالب بندی هستید.   حذف قالب بندی

تنها استفاده از 75 اموجی مجاز می باشد.

×   لینک شما به صورت اتوماتیک جای گذاری شد.   نمایش به صورت لینک

×   محتوای قبلی شما بازگردانی شد.   پاک کردن محتوای ویرایشگر

×   شما مستقیما نمی توانید تصویر خود را قرار دهید. یا آن را اینجا بارگذاری کنید یا از یک URL قرار دهید.

• اضافه کردن...